Selection of Materials for Medical Applications
Although plastics have been used in the healthcare field for some time, specialty compounds that provide anti-static, wear resistant, or elastomeric properties are beginning to offer solutions to evermore complex medical applications.
Although the material selection process can be intimidating, Karl Hoppe, Product Development Engineer for RTP Company, discusses how proper communication between designers and suppliers about application requirements and material capabilities is paramount to selecting an appropriate plastic for a medical device.
Issues discussed in this white paper include:
- Basic overview of polymer chemistry
- How plastics respond to exposure to various environments
- When biocompatibility testing may be required
- Determining true application physical property requirements
- How value-added properties of specialty compounds benefit healthcare applications